Shimoga, presently known as Shivamogga, is the administrative headquarters of Shimoga district. Scenic hills, valleys, water bodies, dense forests, flora and fauna, forts, temples and historical places adorn Shimoga, making it a perfect tourist destination. Shimoga (meaning Face of Shiva), established by the Keladi rulers, enjoyed its golden days during the rule of Shivappa Nayaka in around 1600 AD. Shimoga is located in the central part of Karnataka, on the banks of the Tunga River. Climate in Shimoga remains cool round the year. For a Tour to Shimoga, the best time to visit is between the months of October and March.
Places near Shimoga:
* Tyarekoppa Lion Safari: Started in 1988, this lion-tiger safari is an ideal picnic spot, situated 10 km from Shimoga. You can sight a variety of Lions, Tigers, Cheetah, Bear, Deer, and exotic migratory birds here.
* Sakrebayalu Elephant Camp: Located 14 km from Shimoga, you can catch a glimpse of several elephants playing in the waters, by getting into this camp before 9 am.
Keladi: The first capital of Keladi Nayakas, it has a large courtyard decked with the Rameshvara temple, Veerbhadreshvara temple, and the Parvati temple.
* Agumbe: This spectacular sunset point is also known as the Cheerapunji of South India as it receives the highest rainfall in South India. This picturesque landscape is renowned for its glorious sunset.
* Jog Falls: One of the highest waterfalls in India, Jog Falls is situated 100 km from Shimoga. It is formed by the Sharavathi River, gushing down from a height of 253 meters.
* Ballegavi: Also known as Dakshina Kedara, there are some important temples here like the Kedareshvara temple, Tripurantakeshvara temple, Prabhudeva temple, etc.
* Mandagadde Bird Sanctuary: Situated 32 km from Shimoga, this is a picnic spot set amidst lush green forest where birds migrate from far-off places.
The nearest airport is the Mangalore Airport (200 km). Shimoga is connected by rail to Bangalore, Mysore and Hubli. Shimoga is well-connected by a network of roads to all major cities and towns of Karnataka, and important cities of nearby states. Enjoy a comfortable stay while on a Tour to Shimoga at the hotels in Shimoga, offering a remarkable blend of tradition and modernity. Some of the major hotels in Shimoga are, Jewel Rock Hotel, Hotel Navarathna International, Sundar Ashraya, Hotel Mathura Residency, etc.