Simple & easy steps to increase your Race time.
1. First thing to do is run at least 40 miles per week in training.
2. Add speed work. Running intervals (faster segments interspersed with a jog or walk) of 1/2 mile to one mile is good training.
3. Do your speed work at least once a week; two to three faster-paced sessions are ideal & time your speed work against your racing pace goal. Try to run your mile at least 30 seconds faster than your desired racing pace.
4. Try uphill running. Do either uphill repeats or run uphill during a normal training run. Running uphill builds strength.
5. Perform fartleks. Fartlek, or “speed play” in Swedish, is picking up the pace of your running for random distances.
6. Put some stride-outs into your runs. At the end of a training run, open up your stride three to five times (for about half a block). This will help improve leg turnover.