In this post I am giving the basic trick in configuring a Wireless Router with DSL connection. Broadband is of two types:
1. Cable broadband
2. DSL broadband
Here I am writing about DSL broadband connection and any Wireless router irrespective of Router manufacturer.
Step 1: Make sure you can go online with your modem
The first step is to verifie that you are able to go online directly from modem. For this connect your computer to the modem and try to access Internet.
Step 2: Find the IP address of the DSL modem
To check the IP address of the modem which is connected to the computer follow the steps below.
Go to command prompt and type ipconfig ,press enter. The default gateway listed there is the IP address of the DSL modem. For this tutorial I am assuming the IP address of the DSL modem is 192.168.1.1
Step 3: Configure the Wireless Router
To configure Wireless Router follow the steps below.
1. To configure the wireless router disconnect modem from the computer and connect router to the computer.
2. Power on router and log in to the Wireless router using its default IP address. You can find the default IP address of the wireless router from the user manual or by the method we used to find the IP address of the modem.
Say it is 192.168.1.1
3. Log in to the router by typing the IP address 192.168.1.1 and press enter. Enter default user name and password when it prompt. Normally it would be admin or refer the router user manual.
4. On the setup page change the router IP address to 192.168.2.1 and save settings.
Note: The reason for changing the IP address of the router from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1 is router and modem IP should be in different subnetworks.
Step 4: Connect modem to the network
To connect modem to the network follow the steps below.
1. Connect ,odem to the WAN port of the router
2. Connect computers to the LAN port of the router
3. Power on modem and after 30 seconds power on router.
Now the setwork will be working fine.
Note: In some DSL modem the IP address maynot be 192.168.1.1 , It may be 192.168.X.1 where
X = any number between 0 to 254 other than 1. In this case we can directly connect modem to the router as the network will work fine.