Stress headaches, also known as tension headaches, are very common. Virtually everyone will have a stress headache at least once in their lifetime. Most people don’t do much to treat stress headaches, but there are many things that can help you feel better.
1. Take an over-the-counter pain relief medication like ibuprofen or acetaminophen.
2. Visit your doctor. If you have stress headaches frequently that don’t respond to over the counter pain medications, your doctor may be able to prescribe special pain medication.
3. Place an ice pack or hot pack on your head or neck. This can relieve the pain associated with a stress headache.
4. Get a massage. Relaxing your shoulders, head and neck with a massage will help relieve the discomfort of a stress headache. Either massage yourself or have someone, like your spouse, do it for you.
5. Take a hot shower. The heat and steam from a hot shower can help you feel better if you have a stress headache.
6. Practice relaxation techniques. If you are having a stress headache, things such as meditation and yoga can help relieve your pain and relax you so you feel better.
7. Take herbal remedies. Certain herbs, such as peppermint and cayenne, can sometimes relieve the pain of stress headaches. Purchase herbs from a health food store or nutrition specialty shop.
8. Rest. Stress headaches can often be diminished by simply going to sleep or resting. Try to rest as much as you can if you are having a stress headache.