Adobe Acrobat is a software program designed to open PDF-formatted files (such as job or apartment-lease applications). Adobe Acrobat makes it easier to electronically fill out these forms by allowing users to type in their information. However, since this information can include social security numbers, contact information, employer information and credit card numbers, Adobe Acrobat has also made a password feature available, to protect its users.
1. Open the Adobe Acrobat program.
2. Go to the “File” button on the top left-hand side of the screen, and select “Open.”
3. Click on the file you would like to open. Press “OK.”
4. Select “File” and click on “Document Security.”
5. Click on the arrow tab, and select “Acrobat Standard Security” as the “Security Option.”
6. Check the boxes for “Password required to open document” and “Password required to change permissions and passwords.” Type a password in the field for “Password required to open document” and another password for the field “Password required to change permissions and passwords.”
7. Make sure that the Encryption level is defaulted at “40-bit RC4 (Acrobat 3.x, 4.x).”
8. Press the “OK” button on the bottom of the window.
9. Type in the password you just created to open the document, and then press “OK.”
10. Click “Close” after the Document Security window opens.